Welcome to our dialogue! We may not all agree all of the time but everyone's opinion matters! -
Make sure to scroll all the way to the end for Advice from GusVernon!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"Netiquette"???

MOM:  Online worlds are not like the real one where I am sitting right now.  They are easy…they make it easy to forget there are real people and real consequences beyond the screen.  Parents tell their kids all the time to be cautious on the internet but what does that mean?  As far as I am concerned, the internet is endless.  The possibilities go on and on to infinity…good and bad.  What exactly do we focus on when we have a conversation about “safety” or “netiquette?” 

Safety is a non-negotiable issue.  If you ask my kids the advice I give them most it is, “Don’t do stupid things!”  Then I elaborate on things that fall into the category of “stupid” like: giving out personal information or agreeing to meet with someone they don’t know because of an online conversation.

“Netiquette” is a murkier subject unfortunately.  My definition of netiquette is to adhere to the same standards of behavior online that you follow in real life.  Sounds simple enough but if it were really that simple, I wouldn’t be writing this little blog.  Our household has not had any major issues in this area but we have witnessed its effects on several occasions.  I am holding my breath as we begin to roll through the teen years, it seems inevitable.  Part of my purpose here is communication and hopefully this will play a role in my teen’s decision-making AND anyone who follows us on this adventure. 

We will blog on and see where it takes us.  A teen’s online self is a matter of degrees in my opinion, a bit cooler here and a little shyer there.  My parenting job is to help ensure that these fluctuations do not get too hot or too cold.  After all, teens can resist everything but temptation!

2 comments:

  1. Not all teens have bad intentions, some can give us all a bad name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think kids have to earn trust in this area.

    ReplyDelete