Welcome to our dialogue! We may not all agree all of the time but everyone's opinion matters! -
Make sure to scroll all the way to the end for Advice from GusVernon!

Monday, February 20, 2012

Social Media???

MOM: G-mail, facebook, chatrooms…how much should a middle school child be involved in these types of social media.  Of all the topics we may discuss, this is clearly an agree to disagree between Grace and I.  She is anxious to begin all and any types of social media.  On the other hand, I cringe at the idea.  For a year or so, I have had a facebook account.  Facebook has its ups and downs for me and I am an adult.  LIKE it for keeping in touch with family and friends that are literally scattered over the globe, from Belgium to Columbia and every state in the US.  A big DISLIKE for some of the obvious cattiness and petty postings that are clearly meant to annoy others- and I mean the adults!  For kids in the middle school to refrain from this kind of activity seems hopeless.  As parents we have all seen middle school kids in action and their lack of self-control constantly amazes me. My daughter does not have a facebook account for these and a very long list of other reasons. 

Concern is not only with the posting but with how much time I think she will devote to this activity…A LOT of time I would imagine.  Her schedule is full now with school and sports and the social activities that she does have- something will get shorted and I doubt it will be the social activities and media.   As of now, she has a Gmail account and can instant message there as well as a cell phone and Ipod that uses textplus.  She has everything but Facebook.  Which, as I am writing this, seems a bit illogical because I would have to be her friend on there and monitor her page.  I guess it just the final step at allowing her an online identity and I am not ready for it.  Between you and me, and now the whole world, I am more tech savy than my daughter and can keep track of all she is up too.  I have to say that it is work to keep ahead of her and hopefully she doesn’t pass me once she gets to high school.  It’s the only way I can be certain that she is safe.  She underestimates me as well but this will be changing after she reads this. LOL!

This issue cannot be summed up in one blog because it is so vast and there is so much available in the way of technology.  I plan to revisit this topic as issues arise.  Keep checking and add your comments as well, I’d love for other parents to weigh in!

2 comments: