Welcome to our dialogue! We may not all agree all of the time but everyone's opinion matters! -
Make sure to scroll all the way to the end for Advice from GusVernon!

Friday, February 17, 2012

To UGG or not to UGG!

MOM: UGG boots, we all know what these look like.  I happen to like them and they look comfortable.   I say look because neither myself nor my daughter has these in our wardrobe as of yet, but my niece has a pair as well as many of Grace’s friends.  Eventually, I will break down and give the go-ahead for my daughter to pick out her favorite.  On to the controversy, at our senior high school there is to be a ban on wearing these because of girls keeping their cell phones and various other items that are “restricted” hidden in the boots.  This is in the rumor stage right now but other area schools have already taken the plunge and instituted the ban.  As mom, I am anxious to see what my daughter’s post will be regarding this.  We might actually be on the same page here.  “You cannot control all of the people all of the time” is a phrase I think some overzealous school administrators should take to heart. 

With a smile, I recall a few years back, the silly bandz craze and subsequent ban of these items in the school.  Seriously, if there ever was a time for a parent to question the sanity of administrators.  This ban went all the way down to my son in the elementary school.  Apparently, at that level kids were trading and then having issues with unhappiness in their trades.  Last time I checked, this life lesson was one that I hoped my children would learn. 

Sorry for the tangent but it does resonate in the UGG boot story.  If someone is going to smuggle their phone along for the ride throughout their day; boots or not, they are going to do it.  Never was I a fan of the idea of making a sweeping judgment against all for the action of a few bad apples.  Owning and wanting to have your cell phone does not make you a bad apple in my book but I see the concern by the school officials.  Cyber bullying, sexting , and distraction are very real issues in a school where there is cell phone access but are the wearers of puffy boots being made into scapegoats?  There must be more appalling offenses to worry about than just carrying a cell phone in your boot.   Also worth mentioning is the investment made in these boots, they are not cheap.  If I am going to shell out that much cash for boots for my child, they better be able to wear them to where they spend 70% of their day.

In a nutshell, my views are just old fashioned.  I don’t believe in punishing the entire group because one member decides to do something stupid!   As for now, we are in the waiting stages of this proposal and it is unclear if it will be a ban at the middle and high school levels.  We will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment